Mulligatawny soup is a special pepper soup. The term mulligatawny translates to pepper water. This soup was invented on demand of a British from his servant in India. This recipe can be made in a day advance and then served with a few chicken pieces.
|Time to Prepare||15 minutes|
|Time for cooking||30 minutes|
Ingredients For Mulligatawny Soup
- minced garlic clove- 1
- cumin seed- ¼ tsp
- whole cloves- 6
- curry powder- 1 tbsp
- ground ginger- ¼ tsp
- cayenne pepper
- unsalted butter- ¼ cup
- roasted chickens- 1
- chicken giblets
- stalks celery- 3
- chopped large onions- 2
- diced carrots - 2
- thinly sliced leek- 1
- chicken stock- 11 cups
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- peeled, deseeded and diced medium apples- 2
- plain yogurt- 1 cup
- fresh lemon juice- 2 tbsp
- whipped cream- 2⁄3 cup
- fresh parsley, chopped- for garnishing
- Toasted almond slices- for garnishing
How To Make Mulligatawny Soup
- Mix spices and garlic.
- Take a large skillet and melt butter in it. Sauté the chicken pieces in it.
- Put in the giblets and fry till they are done.
- Take out the chicken and giblets to a stockpot. Take out the excess from skillet besides 1 tbsp. sauté onion, celery, leek, carrot and spice mixture.
- Add some stock and cook at low flames till vegetable are done. Keep stirring.
- Transfer this to the stockpot with chicken.
- Pour in the rest of the stock and season with pepper and salt.
- Put on the lid and cook for half an hour.
- Take out the chicken pieces, add rice and continue cooking for another 15 minutes.
- Slice up the chicken into single bite pieces removing any bones and skins.
- Add the chicken, yogurt and apples to the soup.
- Mix in lemon juice and cream as well.
- Season accordingly.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.
Other Similar Recipes
- Mexican soup
- Chicken soup