Sweet and Sour Chicken
Sweet and sour chicken is a famous and typical Chinese restaurant recipe. This dish is common mainly in Europe. North America, Australia, and you can see an identical version of this recipe being served at some restaurants in East and Southeast Asia.
|Preparation Time||15 mins|
|Cooking Time||30 mins|
Ingredients for Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 4 tablespoon soy sauce mixed with 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
- No of boneless chicken breasts- 3 to 4 or 6 to 8 thighs
- 1 green and 1 red bell pepper finely chopped in bite-size pieces
- Sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms 4 to 6
- No of Small "heads" bok choy-4 or 2 cups chopped Chinese cabbage
- No of green onions divided into 2-3 inch lengths-5
- Use handful of fresh coriander to garnish
- Use oil for stir-frying
- Lemongrass divided into 3-inch lengths -1 stalk
- Fish sauce-3 tbsp
- Tomato ketchup -2 Tbsp.
- Water-1/2 cup
- chilli sauce (or 1 fresh Minced red chilli)- 1 tsp
- Rice vinegar-1 Tbsp.
- brown sugar-3 Tbsp
- Grated galangal (or ginger)- 1 thumb-size piece
- Minced garlic- 3 cloves
- soy sauce-1 Tbsp.
- Fresh dried lime leaves-2 kaffir
- Cornstarch dissolved in 3 Tbsp. water-1 heaping tsp.
How to make Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Firstly mix corn flour with soy sauce and this will be our marinade solution.
- Now mix it with chicken and allow it to settle down while you are preparing vegetables and sauce.
- Now with the help of sharp knife make some partial cuts along the lengths of lemongrass and gently twist these pieces to "bruise" them .This will release fragrance and flavor and put these small pieces in a mixing bowl.
- Now except cornstarch add remaining sauce ingredients to the bowl and stir it well and make all vegetables ready for stir-frying.
- Now take large frying pan put 2 Tbsp. oil in it over medium to high flame.
- Now add chicken together with its marinade to the mixture and stir-fry it for about 1-2 mins or till meat becomes hard (add 1 or 2 tablespoon of water to the frying pan if chicken becomes dry).
- Now add some sauce with the lemongrass and stir it well and put it to boil over a lower to medium heat and then cover it properly and cook it for about 5 minutes.
- Now add bell peppers, mushrooms and green onion to the mixture and stir it well.
- Do the cooking processes for another 5 to 6 minutes or till vegetables gets soft.
- Now add the Chinese cabbage and stir it and cook it for another 1-2 minutes or till the cabbage gets tendered.
- Add the cornstarch dissolved in water in the mixture and Stir it well and reduce the heat to low flame.
- Now check regularly when the sauce gets thick and do taste it in between.
- If the sauce is not salty enough then add more fish sauce to it and If it becomes too salty then add a hint of lime juice.
- If the sauce prepared is not spicy enough then add more chili to it. And if the sauce is not sweet enough then add small amount of brown sugar to it. If the sauce becomes too sweet then add a small amount of rice vinegar or lime juice to it.
- Spread some fresh coriander on it and It can be served well with plenty of Thai jasmine-scented rice.
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Other Similar Recipes
- General Tso’s Chicken
- Sweet and sour pork
- Sesame chicken