Saag or paalak chicken dishes are nothing but spiced purees of spinach or other green vegetables and this recipe is very common in northern India. Additional ingredients such as chicken, potatoes, fresh cheese or chickpeas are added to the recipe which makes it a more substantial dish. The dish is mainly the combination of chicken with spinach which makes it more healthy and nutritious dish. It can be served well either with paranthas or hot Chapatis.
|Preparation Time||25 mins|
|Cooking Time||30 mins|
Ingredients for Saag Chicken
- Skinned chicken pieces -3 pounds
- Minced garlic-5 cloves
- Minced onions-2 large
- Crushed tomatoes-2 large
- Minced ginger-1-inch piece
- Milk -4 tbsp
- Spinach (washed and chopped) -4 bunches
- Butter-2 tbsp
- Cayenne pepper-1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder-1 tsp
- Turmeric-1/2 tsp
- Cardamom pods -2 large
- Vegetable oil-7 tbsp
- Garam masala -1 tsp
- Salt-1/2 tsp
How to make Saag Chicken
- Firstly take 4 tablespoon of oil and lightly fry chicken in it for about 3 to 4 minutes till it becomes slightly brown and then leave it aside.
- Now take some spinach and put it in a deep pan and add 1/4 cup of water in it.
- Now boil it and then remove it from heat.
- Now wait till it gets cool and then grind it in blender and put it aside.
- Heat remaining oil and then add onions, ginger and garlic in it and sauté it till it becomes lightly brown.
- Now in the mixture add cardamom, salt, coriander powder, cayenne, cloves, turmeric and tomatoes in it.
- Now sprinkle the mixture with 1 tbsp of water and then cook it for about 10 minutes on a low flame.
- Now add milk and chicken in it and simmer till the chicken gets tendered.
- Finally add garam masala and spinach to the mixture and start cooking and continue doing this till spinach starts sticking to pan.
- Now remove it from heat and then add some butter to the chicken saag and cover it properly until it is prepared and ready to serve.
Some Useful Tips
If you are thinking of preparing garlic, fresh chilli and ginger pastes at home, then make sure you add tablespoon of canola/hot vegetable/ sunflower cooking oil to the paste and mix it well this will ensure a longer life for the paste prepared. Refrigerate and use it as per your requirement.
Other Similar Recipes
- Tandoori Chicken
- Butter Chicken
- Chicken Curry Recipe
- Chicken Chilli