Orange chicken is a very famous Chinese dish mainly eaten in the United States. It derives its name from the dried orange peel which is used in the recipe. Orange chicken is originally a Hunan dish, now by this simple method we will learn how to prepare Orange chicken.
|Preparation Time||30 mins|
|Cooking Time||40 mins|
Ingredients for Orange Chicken Recipe
- Water-1 1/2 cups
- Orange juice-2 tablespoons
- Lemon juice-1/4 cup
- Rice vinegar-1/3 cup
- Soya sauce-2 1/2 tablespoons
- Grated orange zest-1 tablespoon
- packed brown sugar-1 cup
- Minced fresh ginger root-1/2 teaspoon
- Minced garlic-1/2 teaspoon
- Chopped green onion-2 tablespoons
- Red pepper flakes-1/4 teaspoon
- Cornstarch-3 tablespoons
- Water -2 tablespoons
- No of boneless, skinless chicken breasts divided into 1/2 inch pieces-2
- All-purpose flour-1 cup
- Salt-1/4 teaspoon
- Pepper-1/4 teaspoon
- Olive oil-3 tablespoons
How to make Orange Chicken
- Take a saucepan and pour soy sauce, lemon juice, orange juice, 1 1/2 cups water and rice vinegar in it and set it on a medium-high flame and then stir brown sugar, orange zest, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and chopped onion in it. Now start boiling it and then remove it from the heat and allow it to cool for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Now put these chicken pieces in a resealable plastic bag. Now when contents of saucepan have been cooled then pour 1 cup of sauce in the plastic bag. The remaining sauce should be reserved.
- Now seal the bag and refrigerate it for at least 2 hrs.
- Take another resealable plastic bag and mix the pepper, salt and flour in it. Now add the marinated chicken pieces in the mixture and then seal the bag, and shake it to form a coating.
- Now start heating some olive oil in a large skillet on a medium flame and place the chicken in that skillet and continue this until it becomes brown on both sides.
- Use paper towels to drain it and then cover it with aluminum foil.
- Finally remove the skillet and add the prepared sauce to it. Now boil it over a medium-high flame and mix 2 tbsp water and cornstarch altogether in it. Now stir this into the sauce prepared.
- Reduce the heat to medium low flame and then add the chicken pieces in it and boil it for about 5 minutes and occasionally do the stirring.
Some Useful Tips
- As dried orange peel is not easily available so as an alternative you can use fresh orange zest.
Other Similar Recipes
- Pork Potstickers
- Orange Chicken Wings