Chicken Pasanda is a traditional and favorite chicken recipe which is moderately spiced and it includes roasted chicken pieces engraved in tomato-onion based gravy. Enjoy the delicious chicken pasanda with either roomali roti or naan.
|Preparation Time||1 hour|
|Cooking Time||1 hour|
Ingredients for Murgh Pasanda
- Ghee or oil- 3tbsp
- Small onion (finely chopped)-1
- Cinnamon (dalchini)-1 ½” piece
- Cardamoms (elaichi)-2
- Fresh ginger (adrak)[finely chopped]-1 piece
- Garlic (lehsun)[finely chopped]- 2 cloves
- Turmeric powder (haldi)-1 tsp
- Coriander (dhania) seeds- 1 tsp
- Chilli powder ½ tsp
- Yoghurt- 5 tbsp
- Tomato puree- 1 tsp
- Add salt according to taste
- Number of Chicken breasts, skinned and cut into 1 inch pieces- 2
- Almond (badam) slivers-2 tbsp
- Leave the chopped fresh coriander leaves(dhania) to garnish
How to make Murgh Pasanda
- Firstly take a large heavy pan and heat some oil in it now add the chopped onion in the mixture and stir it for few minutes on a high flame.
- Now add cardamoms and the cassia bark and then stir it a little and turn the heat down to low flame and start cooking it for about 10 minutes
- Now add garlic and ginger and then stir it and cook it for another 10 minutes on low flame. Stir it again and again to ensure that nothing burns or turns brown.
- Then add the coriander, chili powder and turmeric and then fry it gently for a minute
- Now add 1 tbsp of yoghurt and stir it round and turn on the heat so that the yoghurt present in the oil start sizzling (If you are using full cream yoghurt then don’t worry it won’t split)
- When yoghurt start losing its moisture then add another tablespoon and stir it and start frying as done before.
- Repeat this process till all the yoghurt is incorporated.
- Now add some tomato purée in the mixture and stir in. The color of the dish by now will be rich orangy yellow with red flecks.
- To make the mixture in a pure fluid form stir it in lots of hot water.
- Start boiling it on a low flame and stir it occasionally for about 20 minutes
- Add salt according to your taste
- While the sauce paste is being cooked take a frying pan and heat it at low to moderate and now add the flaked almonds. Start moving the almonds around the pan so that they don't burn and then heat it till it becomes brown. Now remove it from the pan and leave it aside to cool. When it is cooled start crushing them with your fingers into small pieces.
- Now take a large heavy frying pan and start heating some oil in it and then stir and fry the chicken pieces over a normal controlled heat till they are sealed and turns white
- Now add the almonds and the chicken to the sauce paste and put it on low flame for another 20-30 minutes till the chicken is completely cooked. Stir it from time to time and if the sauce becomes too dry add a small amount of hot water in it
- When you are done with the cooking you should have a fairly thick, creamy sauce paste with some small patches of oil appearing at the top of paste. If you find any cardamoms or the cinnamon remove them
- Now it is ready to serve and garnish it with well chopped fresh coriander leaf
Some Useful Tips
While preparing this recipe, if possible use full fat yoghurt because skimmed milk yoghurt curdles sometimes while cooking. If you want to use low fat yoghurt then add 1 heaped teaspoon of corn or plain flour per cup of yoghurt. If the yoghurt being cooked is straight from the fridge then chances are that it may curdle. It somewhat helps the yoghurt to settle at room temperature. If you add yoghurt during cooking then make sure you take out few tablespoons of hot food in a bowl and then mix yoghurt in it and then warm it up a little bit and finally stir it back into the dish. Sour cream can be used a s a substitute for yoghurt but use only half amount of it.
Other Similar Recipes
- Mixed Dal
- Bean And Vegetable Salad
- Baked Oondhiya
- Baked Pancakes In Paprika Sauce
- Kadai Paneer
- Spinach Tartillini In Cream Sauce
- Tomato, Cabbage and Bean Soup
- Spicy Potato and Chana Salad