Chicken Varuval is a fried chicken recipe. It goes well with any other dish because of it being spicy, succulent and moist. It is essentially a dry recipe but can be made into a curry.
|Preparation Time||25 mins|
|Cooking Time||30-45 mins|
Ingredients for Chicken Varuval
- ½ kg chicken cut into small pieces.
- 1 Chopped onions
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 10 curry leaves
- 5 dry chilies
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- For garnishing- coriander leaves
For The Masala Mix
- 1 piece cinnamon
- 4-5 cloves
- 2-3 cardamoms
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 ½ cumin seeds
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 3 tbsp Grated dry coconut
- 2 dry red chilies
- Sliced ginger
- Sliced garlic
How to make Chicken Varuval
- Take heavy bottom pan heat up some oil in it.
- Fry chopped onions in it till they become golden brown.
- Add in tomatoes, red chilies and curry leaves and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, turmeric powder and chili powder and mix it all together.
- Cook for 10 minutes with lid on. There is no need to add any water because chicken will release water on its own.
- During this grind all the masala ingredients without any water.
- Drop in this masala once chicken is done and oil starts coming out.
- Mix well and keep stirring till masala is completely cooked.
- Take coriander leaves and use it to garnish the dish. Chicken Varuval is ready to be served.
Some Useful Tips
- Use 2 teaspoon chilli powder and 2 teaspoon coriander powder instead of whole red chillies and coriander seeds. Add little extra coconut if gravy is preferred. You can use more grated coconut if you need gravy. Instead of using whole red chilies and coriander seeds you can use their powdered form.
Other Similar Recipes
- Pepper Chicken
- Chicken Biryani
- Chicken Kurma
- Spicy Chicken Gravy/Chicken Kulambu