Gumbo is a kind of thick soup. It contains meat, seafood, or poultry whatever is on hand. It always eaten up with rice. Okra is added as an ingredient or as thickener to the soup.
|Preparation Time||25 mins|
|Cooking Time||45 mins|
Ingredients for Chicken Gumbo
- Vegetables - 2 tablespoon ( small pieces)
- All purpose flour - 2 tablespoon
- Finely chopped onions - 2
- Finely chopped green bell pepper - 1
- Chicken broth - 5 cups (warm)
- Peeled off and chopped tomatoes - 8
- Okra - 1/2 lb ( pieces of ¼ inches)
- Gumbo - 1 1/2 tablespoon
- Uncooked rice - 1/2 cup
- Finely chopped - 2 Ribs Celery
- Salt – 1 tablespoon
- Pepper - 1/2 tablespoon
- Thyme - 1/4 tablespoon
- Bay leaf - 1
- Boiled and fried cooked chicken - 1
How to make Chicken Gumbo
- Take a big Dutch oven, put chicken into it, and add all purpose flour.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until the chicken color changes to light brown.
- Now add finely chopped onions and bell pepper to it. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add warm broth slowly, monitor till broth reaches the boiled level.
- Now add remaining ingredients to the pan and boil them.
- Now add chicken to the mixture when it boils, reduce flame to low, cover the pan and cook for about 20 mins.
Some Useful Tips
- One can increase or decrease the quantity of green chilies into the chicken according to your taste.
- The chicken can be greased with butter and can be cooked in an oven instead of following the above process.
Other Similar Recipes
- Gumbo ya ya
- Classic and okra gumbo
- Chicken classic gumbo
- Chicken and sausage gumbo
- Basic gumbo