Puli Pongal is a very tasty and simple recipe from South India. It is prepared with rice and tamarind water. Ingredients of Puli Pongal are easily available at home.
|Preparation Time||15 mins|
|Cooking Time||15 mins|
|Number Of Serves||4|
Ingredients for Puli Pongal
- Broken raw rice - 2 cups
- Lemon size tamarind – soak in water
- Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Chana dal - 1 Teaspoon
- Red chilies – dry (as reqd)
- Asafoetida Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Sesame oil - 1/4 cup
- Curry leaves - Sprig
- Salt acc to taste
How To Make Puli Pongal
- Keep tamarind juice ready. Like for a cup of broken rice, add about 2 1/4 cups of juice of tamarind.
- Now heat little oil in sauce pan. Add seeds of mustard to it. When the seed starts spluttering add chana dal to it.
- When chana dal color changes to brown add curry leaves, turmeric powder, dry red chilies, and asafetida to it.
- Now add turmeric juice to the mixture. When the mixture gets boil add broken rice and salt according to taste.
Some Useful Tips
Puli Pongal is a perfect dish for Tiffin’s. It is simple to make.
Other Similar Recipes