Mathri is a North Indian snack. It is mostly popular in Rajasthan. It is flaky, crispy, and deep fried. It is also called as “mathis” often served with lemon or spicy mango pickle. You can have it with tea in evening also. Mathris are any time snack and you can store it for several days.
|Preparation Time||15 mins|
|Cooking Time||30 mins|
|Number Of Serves||4|
Ingredients for Mathri
- Maida – 2 cup
- Fine Semolina - 1/4th cup
- Salt -2 teaspoon
- Coarsely cracked whole black peppercorns - 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking powder - 1/8th teaspoon
- Plain yogurt - 2 tablespoon
- Luke warm water - 7 tablespoon
- Oil/ melted ghee - 4 tablespoon
- For deep frying – oil /Ghee
How To Make Mathri
- Take a big bowl. Mix all purpose flour, baking powder, cracked pepper, and salt into it.
- Now add some ghee into the mixture and rub the mixture between your palms. Rub till the mixture takes the breadcrumbs form.
- Now mix curd and water. Make soft dough using this flexible mixture.
- Cover the mixture with wet cloth and keep aside for about 30 minutes.
- Now divide the dough into small portions and make several small rolls of it.
- Take a wok. Pour ghee or oil into it. Heat it.
- Now fry the rolls into the heated oil until light brown.
- Remember the color should be exactly brown; it has to be pale in colour.
- Now remove the rolls from the wok. Put them on paper towel.
- Strain out all the oil from the fried mathris.
- Repeat the same process with rest of the mathris.
- Keep them in an air tight container for about 2-3 weeks.
Some Useful Tips
Make the filling of plain mathris so that you will be able to make Masala mathris.
Other Similar Recipes
- Kairi ka pani
- Baked puri
- Kalmi vadas